Sunday, 14 September 2014

Photo Competition.......



I have started doing a bit of photography and decided to enter the local photo competition at our local Coal & Country Festival.   I was very happy to receive  four firsts and one third......  I have had two little kookaburras hanging around my garden and they where very friendly and allowed me to photograph them.  They even allowed me to get up close to them.  I received a first for this photo in the animal division.  I still have a lot to learn. There is just not enough hours in the day to do everything that I want to do.

                                                                               

Friday, 5 September 2014

Birthday Time Again........



Time again to embroider the towels for my friends granddaughters.   Desley looks after my spoilt cat Joey when I go on holidays.  In return I embroider on towels  for their Birthdays.  The only stipulation was that there was to be no yellow so I used lime green instead.  The design came  from  Just Peachy and stitched out great. I used Heat & Gone on the back of the towel as stabilizer and also used  for a topping.  I love that you only have to touch it with a hot iron and it  is gone with no residue..


                                                                         

Sunday, 31 August 2014

Monogram Patch..........

For my grandson who is graduating this year I also bought him a toiletry bag. As I was unable to embroider on the bag because there was a mirror behind where I wanted to put the monogram.   I decided to make a patch and use Steam a Seam on the back of the patch and iron it on to the bag.  Turned out great and something that he will get plenty of use out of.

                                                                         

Thursday, 21 August 2014

Graduation Bag!!!!!

Last weekend I went to Emerald to mind my youngest grandchild so his parents could attend the Grade 12 Formal for his elder brother. I love these little bags from  Disorderly Threads so I made one for Matthew, not too sure what he thought of it.  Even boys need little bags to keep things in.  The bag was made ITH, even the zip with no raw edges anywhere. Just a little bit of hand sewing where you turn the bag. This bag was done in a 5 x 7 inch hoop and was quite a good size.  I have bought some different bag designs for the 6 x10 hoop which I hope to do soon.

                                                                     


Thursday, 14 August 2014

New Technique...................

             I decorated the hat with a flower made with texture magic from Embroidery Garden.
Monogramming on hats over foam ( puffy embroidery)  is all the rage at the moment.  So I hat to try it but had to get a hat first.  I didn't want anything to expensive in case I messed it up.  I managed to get a couple of cheap hats from china.  No cheap stores where I live.  The foam worked really well and stopped the stitches from sinking into the straw. No problems stitching with the machine either.  There are now designs specially made for puffy embroidery.  The design needs to be a satin stitch and not a fill stitch.

                                                                           

Wednesday, 6 August 2014

Medical Pretend Play Kit............

I really loves this Medical Kit, all made In the Hoop on my Embroidery Machine.  The set consists of a blood pressure kit, doctors hat, nurse hat ( I didn't make), 4 band aids and a stethoscope.  I made the name tag and bought 2 syringes and 2 empty pill bottles and pasted  the names, headache pills and Tummy pills on them. I had the blue plastic bag which was just perfect for the doctors bag and lined it with calico and wadding. I also put a red cross on the front of the bag.  Dr Cooper loved it as he loves to play dress up.  The design came from OFNAH.


                                                                     

Thursday, 31 July 2014

From Old to New.............

                                                             From This
To This
When I first saw the picture of the Sprocket Pillow, all I knew was that I wanted to make one. This is my idea of a Sprocket Pillow. After I thought about it for a while I decided that my old foot stool from the patio could do with an overhaul.  I remembered that I had some pieces that I had not used in another project from many years ago.  I was going to cut the points off to make the top curved but then the piece would not be big enough for the pillow I wanted to make. This is when I decided to add another piece of fabric so then I could curve the top.  I put the blue fabric pieces on a piece of paper and cut a pattern for the red triangle pieces.  After I stitched the all pieces together, I then put batting on the back and quilted it and made it up as a normal cushion. I made this from pieces in my stash, even the covered button for the centre.  I always feel I have achieved something when I make something that I don't have to buy anything else for.

                                                                       

Wednesday, 23 July 2014

A Boy Quilt!!!!

Always looking for something suitable for boys, I decided to use  the mystery blocks that had a Halloween theme for a quilt for my grandson Thomas.  The fabric had ghosts, spiders,  bats and all the things that little boys like. It is just big enough so that he can use it when they are camping, and it won't drag in the dirt. I wanted to use all the fabric so I cut the left over pieces into squares and backed the quilt with that.  I also quilted the blocks with a spiderweb design. I did this freehand and it is certainly a lot harder than it looks.
Not too sure if I will try this again. I need a lots and lots of practice.

                                                  My spider web Quilting.