Thursday, 31 July 2014

From Old to New.............

                                                             From This
To This
When I first saw the picture of the Sprocket Pillow, all I knew was that I wanted to make one. This is my idea of a Sprocket Pillow. After I thought about it for a while I decided that my old foot stool from the patio could do with an overhaul.  I remembered that I had some pieces that I had not used in another project from many years ago.  I was going to cut the points off to make the top curved but then the piece would not be big enough for the pillow I wanted to make. This is when I decided to add another piece of fabric so then I could curve the top.  I put the blue fabric pieces on a piece of paper and cut a pattern for the red triangle pieces.  After I stitched the all pieces together, I then put batting on the back and quilted it and made it up as a normal cushion. I made this from pieces in my stash, even the covered button for the centre.  I always feel I have achieved something when I make something that I don't have to buy anything else for.


Wednesday, 23 July 2014

A Boy Quilt!!!!

Always looking for something suitable for boys, I decided to use  the mystery blocks that had a Halloween theme for a quilt for my grandson Thomas.  The fabric had ghosts, spiders,  bats and all the things that little boys like. It is just big enough so that he can use it when they are camping, and it won't drag in the dirt. I wanted to use all the fabric so I cut the left over pieces into squares and backed the quilt with that.  I also quilted the blocks with a spiderweb design. I did this freehand and it is certainly a lot harder than it looks.
Not too sure if I will try this again. I need a lots and lots of practice.

                                                  My spider web Quilting.

Wednesday, 9 July 2014

Pot Holder Challenge.........

Every year our patchwork group has a challenge and this year we where given a fat quarter to make something.  I was given the green piece which I used in the owl pot holder.     The pattern for the pot holder came from Embroidery Garden and it is made In the Hoop.     
I love that there is place to put your hand when you need to pick up something hot.

Wednesday, 2 July 2014

Dragon Embroidery ..........

Another design that I always wanted to do, but my hoop was not big that I have a 6 x 10 Inch hoop I thought that I would give it a go.  The design came from Lindee G Embroidery and has nearly 50, 000 stitches and took about 3.5 hours to stitch out.  I am really impressed with my new Singer Machine. So glad i bit the bullet and bought it.